Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My Flog for February 6 + Smoke? I Don't See No Smoke .... Cough Cough Cough


  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Fried Egg Sandwich on a Kaiser Bun - much better than Subway's version, that's for sure. This one actually tasted of egg. 
  • Dinner - Blackened Chicken, Fried Potato Loonies, and green peas from a can
  • Snacks - Muffin, piece of Cherry Cake (which I made this morning. It is a tad overbaked, but still very delicious. The recipe said to bake for 2 1/2 hours - I took it out after 1 hour and 25 minutes, which was probably at least 10 minutes too long.)
Regarding dinner - I've heard of, and seen Blackened Chicken (and other meats) on the Food Network, and on menus, but never realized it was so easy to make. I just seasoned the chicken pieces (I broke legs apart to make thighs and drummies) with seasoning salt, Garlic Plus, paprika and onion powder - the holes in the paprika shaker were huge, so that went on kinda heavy. Oven at 400 degrees, just like the chicken I cooked a couple of months ago, which turned out deliciously.

However, when Howard came home 25 minutes later, he noticed the kitchen was filled up with smoke. That's when it started to drift into the living room, where I was. He turned on the fan over the stove, and moved the temp button to 300 degrees, then thundered upstairs. I went to the kitchen, removed the offending pan from the oven, scraped the chicken off (well, except for the skin on the bottom), turned it over, and seasoned it again. Popped it back in the oven, only at 300 this time. And this time it only took about 15 minutes to fill the house up with smoke once more - this time even wafting upstairs and setting off the smoke detector up there. Of course, Howard was too tired after work to reset it, and I didn't know how, so I just went up and waved the broom at it until it quit wailing.

I was going to make fries, but the potatoes were so small, I didn't feel like cutting them into sticks, so I just sliced them into circles and deep fried them like that - Chris said they looked like loonies, so another Signature Dish was born.

When I shouted out to Howard to come down for dinner, he never heard me, as he had left and gone to enjoy the clear air at Steve's. So Nikkie texted him, and he came down. Sat down at the table and said,

"If I couldn't cook any better than that, I wouldn't bother cooking at all."

I wonder what we'll have for dinner tomorrow night?

By the way - the chicken may have looked (well, it was) burned, but it was still very tasty. But no, I won't try to re-create this!

1 comment:

  1. give him a raw potato and a straw Tamar,that should go over well

    ReplyDelete