Monday, September 12, 2011

My Flog for September 12 + A Bit of the Shakes

It was really strange to be sitting at the computer at 3 o'clock on a Monday afternoon watching my Diet Pepsi swish in the bottle, and feeling my chair and the floor shake underneath me. No, we didn't experience an earthquake - at least if we did, there was no we involved, only me. What was happening was the rumble of giant trucks on all sides. The street behind us, just a house-on-the-other-side-of -the-backyard away, is having some pavement repair done, which entails ripping up the old asphalt, grinding the road base, then repaving. Takes lots of big trucks to do that. Then somewhere nearby and farther along our street there's a monster house getting built, so for some reason there were big beep-when-I-back-up trucks rumbling along on the way there.

I really thought there was an earthquake, though, for a few minutes, as the shivers were so intense. So here I sat, chatting on FB with Nikkie, considering my options. My first instinct, if it did indeed happen to be an earthquake, was to go down into the basement and stand in a doorway, but then I realized that's where the gas furnace and hot water heater are, so I didn't want to be that close to burst gas pipes. I never even remembered Howard's Earthquake Kit - the bully beef, spaghetti sauce, and barbecue sauce would have just stayed upstairs in his dresser cupboard.

I really don't know where I would have gone. Maybe out in the garage, in the doorway, as it's just about empty now - Howard moved 99% of his toys over to Steve's garage this past weekend. That would have been bloody bad timing, actually - getting an earthquake and/or a tsunami when  two kayaks and a canoe were twenty miles away, when I could have sat in one of these and felt a bit safer.

  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Soup, 2 slices of Whole Grain bread
  • Dinner - Chicken Breast, new potatoes, sauteed peppers
  • Snacks - Yogurt, Banana, Diet Pepsi

No comments:

Post a Comment