Saturday, November 5, 2011

My Flog for November 5 + No Flaming Bonfire Tonight, I Guess...

Guy Fawkes Day - doesn't mean much to people on the West Coast, but it brings back memories - sky high bonfires, burning everything that wasn't nailed down, venturing close to the flames to get warm, ending up with heat-flushed faces and freezing butts... tonight we were going to have a fire in the firepit out back, a feeble attempt to keep an old memory alive. (Oh my - the thought of 'Smores!) However, once again the best laid plans of mice and men etc etc...

Went grocery shopping, and I must say, we got some good stuff. Makings of pea soup and Jiggs Dinner, and Kitty Litter among the items in the cart.
  • Breakfast - Toast and 2-hour-old nuked coffee, which didn't really cut it
  • Lunch - Cheerios and Milk
  • Dinner - A Potato and a Butterscotch Pudding. (Well, it's actually a long story. I planned on Pea Soup for supper, but having gone so many years not cooking with salt beef, I sorta kinda overdid that part, and the soup ended up truly salty. Too salty for me. So I took some stupid Internet advice and added a potato, as that was supposed to suck up the salt. Hah. So I ate the potato. Now there's more peas, onions, and home-grown turnip simmering in another pot, to be added to the original soup to hopefully fix it. Howard and Steve did eat some, but I imagine by now their lips are cracked and their bodies are craving water.)
  • Snacks - 4 BBQ potato chips, a cookie, diet Pepsi - right now there are 9 huge and hugely delicious Walmart muffins on the table beside me - 3 Double Chocolate, 3 Buttertart, and 3 Cinnamon Coffee Cake. Not sure if they'll survive the night or not....we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment