Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Flog for February 14

I do believe this was Valentines Day, and Facebook confirms it. Kudoos to all the gals who got roses and chocolate. The closest thing I got to roses, was I rose out of bed at 5 o'clock this morning. And I bought myself a Hot Chocolate when I got to work. Actually, I didn't buy it, it was my buy 6 and get the 7th one free one, so that was a little gift, I would think.

Another gift for the day was a beautiful sunny blue-skied afternoon. Even though they are rare in February, just when you really really need one, one comes along.

Doing the commute thingie gives me lots of time to think, and sometimes that isn't a good thing. This evening on the way home, I pondered over the beginning of Sky Train. Just think of it. A few years (or more) ago, some guys (probably) sat down and talked about a really fast moving train, speeding overhead (at the King George Station, it's 51 steps up in the air, and Surrey Central, it's about twice that many,) and delivering hundreds -no thousands - of commuters to their jobs every day. A train that would take me, for example, from King George to 22nd Street Station in about 20 minutes. I have no idea how long it would take to drive a car (or truck) there, but I assume it would be way more that 20 minutes, as this train track has no stop lights -
Sky Train tracks in Burnaby - no pics from my route, unfortunately
.
- and its very own bridge over the Fraser River.


Now this bridge is narrow. Just wide enough for two trains to pass without scratching each other's paint. If you are on the river side, don't look downwards out the window, or you will see just how high the bridge is, and that may not be a good idea, especially if you're not too fussy about bridges. However, I can just imagine these guys planning all this out, the speed of the train, the narrowness of the bridge, the height of the track.

So one of them says, ``Well, I`ll build it, and you can drive it.``

And the other replies, ``No way am I driving it. Hey, let`s make it electric, and control it from a safe place somewhere, on solid ground. That would be way cool, just like the remote control dune buggy I got for my 10th birthday.`

And so the Sky Train was born. And now hundreds (or thousands) of people every day speed through the sky in a tin can with no driver.
  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee. 
  • Lunch - Oh what a lunch. Let`s see. I started with an Orange, then progressed to a bit of Gingerbread Cake and a Pudding 
  • Dinner - Cheeseburger, a Coke, and a few Fries. For some reason I was ravenous and my tummy still hurts. Wonder why.
  • Snack - a Valentine Cupcake, thanks to Nikkie and her Valentine surprise for me

No comments:

Post a Comment