Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Flog for February 8

It's been a looooong day, and I could go to sleep right now if I went to bed, even in it's only 7:30. However, I can't. I have a loyal readership waiting for my words, and a nagging customer waiting for a scarf. She actually called while we were eating dinner to see if I had it done (I don't know why the hell I gave her my cell number.) I  said it was more than half done and I would have it finished by the 15th like I said. She said her daughter needed it by the 14th. I said I'd try my best. So after I post this, guess what I'll be doing? At the very least, knitting until the first half is done. (Oops, did I tell a fib? Oh dear.)

As you all know, I DO have very busy days, and today was no exception. I left about 10:30 to walk to Safeway, as I can buy Bread and Roll Mix there and I wanted to bake bread. Didn't know it was pouring rain, though, until I opened the door to leave, but went anyway. Took my umbrella and plastic bags instead of cloth grocery bags. I decided to walk a different route, as I'm getting tired of the sights and noisy traffic of King George, so I headed up 134th Street, planning to turn on 104 Avenue, where Safeway is located, just on the other side of Surrey Central Mall. This actually would have turned out quite well, as this way has most of its uphill early on the walk, leaving a lot of almost level and actually downhill just before the store. If it worked out that way, of course.

I came to Holland Park, which so far I've only seen from the King George side, and saw some terrific cedars with terrific roots. And you know me - I've got my handy dandy phone camera, so I gotta share.
It's a cedar tree!

It looks like they may be alive - I can just imagine them slithering...

explanation below....


I did get a few more pics, but don't want to bore you to death. I have to make sure Howard doesn't see this little cedar grove, though, or they may end up as canoes.

So I walk through the park, and come out on a side road behind the brand new library, which was good because Safeway is on the other side of the library. I did notice the signs saying Sidewalk Closed, but you can never go by signs. You can usually walk there anyway, there just may be a bit of gravel or maybe a sawhorse or two you can walk around. So I didn't bother crossing the street. However, when I got nearer, I saw that there was no way to travel that way - the sidewalk wasn't only closed, it was covered with those honking big cement triangular prism thingies. So that was okay - I figured I'd just go through the library, and come out on the King George side, and go from there. But - remember I said the 'new' library? Yeah, the other three sides were enclosed in gravel pits, no kidding. Only one exit - and it happened to be the entrance I came through. However, there was one beautiful moment on the way back -

The first Cherry Blossoms of the season, tucked away in a sheltered spot. 

So then it was around the corner, to a path which actually did lead to the back parking lot of Safeway, even if I had to skitter down a dead grass and dead leaf slope to get there. Me and buggy, what adventures we have!

So. Safeway was just a hunting, gathering and paying expedition, then back on the street. Figured I'd walk down King George to Holland Park, cut through the park, and walk back the same way I came. Thought it would be nice change to talk to Penny, my sister-in-law, on the way, so I called her, and we did indeed have a nice chat. However, as I was chatting, I was also trying to figure out the path that would take me to 134th Street, and as there were no signs, and I couldn't see the road from the middle of the park, it was just a sort of intuitiony zigzaggy way I chose. And after about 5 minutes (or more) of walking, I actually found myself back on King George again. (Sorry for the foul language, Penny.)

Anyway, to make this long story over, I did find the proper street, and did manage to stumble home. On the way I passed a road construction crew -
Stop! Stop! Sto....oh oh, too late!

I don't know if he was supposed to stop on the pylon, but if he was, he did a really good job of it.

After I got home, I started my bread, made the meatballs, and made a Lemon Pie. Then it was an early dinner, as Steve had school tonight and had to head out to Burnaby. Then Howard and I walked to the corner store - and now I'm utterly pooped.

So now, I'm going to either knit and watch Sanctuary, or go to bed.
  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Chicken Veggie Soup (rescued from the freezer), crackers (Saltine crackers - this was something I ate, not something I am), Yogurt
  • Dinner - Waikiki Meat Balls, Fried Rice, and a piece of Lemon Pie (Yum Yum) (I think I'll soon have to go bathing suit shopping....)
  • Snacks - a slice of homemade bread and jam

No comments:

Post a Comment