Saturday, July 22, 2023

July 22 - I really want a coffee, but I think I’d rather sleep tonight.

 Twilight. My favourite time for walking, so here I am on the back deck swing just thinking about it. It’s a bit cooler out here than in the house - I had the AC on upstairs but when he came up he turned it off. So here I am. Just thinking. 

I was super lazy today, and the laundry I took in from the line is still slopped over a dining room chair waiting for someone to fold it. It’s only blankets though, and I don’t think anyone will be wanting one of them tonight. 

I’m going to cheat tonight, and copy I poem I wrote about a decade (or more) ago. At least it’s a real poem for a change  


THE STORY OF MY LIFE....in six decades

the fifties were my first decade
when my first memories were made

our little home with walls of stone
and now. like lots of things, it's gone
my daddy's horse, our big white cat
and other little things like that


the sixties brought us overseas
where i made brand new memories
living by the sea in bliss
learning to swim with jelly fish
skating til dark with my dog at my side
mostly alone, but i didn't mind

the seventies brought me lots of things
oversized coats and wedding rings
kisses on Gun Hill, a tiny wee house
a bouncing wee baby for me and my spouse
co-workers and friends i held close to my heart
and they'd hold me together when i'd fall apart


the eighties brought treasures of friendships and love
and the me that i was, came back into my soul
and the bad times were eased by the waves and the sun
and the cries of the gulls when the morning begun
two babies came crying and brought me more joys
and my life had a purpose, my three little boys


the nineties brought change in a mindblowing way
when we packed up our stuff and moved so far away
new ocean, new city, new jobs and new friends
a brand new experience round every bend
no regrets, except family and friends left behind,
our memories keeping them all in our minds


those decades add up, and no longer we feel
middle aged, and that's scary - the grey hair is real
and our little boys are all finally grown
with true loves and dear little kids of their own
we continue the journey, no matter what comes,
for beginnings are not only made for the young


  


No comments:

Post a Comment