Tuesday, July 25, 2023

July 25 - We may never have been as fat as we thought we were, but our outsides are a lot older than we think we are.

 Only 5 months to Christmas and I haven’t even started to get ready. Although, to tell the truth, I don’t usually start that until Christmas Eve, so it’s all good. I am, however, getting caught up with spring cleaning.  I will have a positive attitude and say I’m starting that early.

This is the time of the year when I have to scroll quickly through my Facebook feed, as there are so many pictures of whales it makes me rather whalesick (like homesick, but with whales.) 

In the early 80s I spent a few summers with a whale researcher from Colorado Springs (I know, not really whale country) who came to Trinity to research minke whales - the humpbacks were already taken. Minke whales are harder to spot as they don’t breach - they are much more sedate than their relatives, and if there are any waves at all, an Atlantic wave can easily be mistaken for a minke’s dorsal fin. That is why, when the weather wasn’t cooperating, we would just go sit on the cliffs  and watch the ocean spreading out in front of us. 

I don’t have a poem about that, but I do have a picture - well, a sketch - okay, a cartoon. It’s a cartoon. I wish I could be sitting in front of my kitchen window now

, watching for Ephraim’s truck, and sitting on the wet grass with my 1980s friends. 

 



OMG. This paper is about 40 years old. I think I’ll go to bed now. 

(I do feel a bit guilty about the no poem thing though)

So I’ll just tap to make this right

And say to all of you, goodnight  

(There you go  it rhymes therefore it’s a poem.)


No comments:

Post a Comment