Saturday, April 14, 2012

My Flog for April 14


Today my pal Pauline and I took one of our Day Offs to man (woman?) a table at a Spring Treasure Sale for Red Hat Groups in the Lower Mainland. We took just about every red and purple ball of yarn from the store, and displayed and demo-ed and sold for 4 long hours. 
Pauline, trying to hide behind our headless model
For those of you who don't know what the Red Hat ladies are all about -
- and this poem tells it all - how terrific is this?
Warning - When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple 
By Jenny Joseph 

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple 
with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me. 
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves 
and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter. 
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired 
and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells 
and run my stick along the public railings 
and make up for the sobriety of my youth. 
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain 
and pick the flowers in other people's gardens 
and learn to spit. 

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat 
and eat three pounds of sausages at a go 
or only bread and pickles for a week 
and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes. 

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry 
and pay our rent and not swear in the street 
and set a good example for the children. 
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers. 
But maybe I ought to practice a little now? 
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised 
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

I'm not sure about the spitting part, though.

All in all, we had a good day, although watching the 92-year old Country Line Dancer and all these other 'older' gals having so much fun was a bit tiring. 
The Red Hat Bunny passed out chocolate to everyone - now there's my kind of Bunny! This was Carla, who organised this event. She did a terrific job, what a Lovely Lady - and such a Cute Bunny.

The way home was once again, bus and sky train, but this time I managed to get an awful picture of the Sky Train Bridge across the Fraser River - 
See how high and rickety it looks? No wonder I need a drink when I get home.
  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - a slice of Veggie Pizza and Green Salad w/Raspberry Vinaigrette. Very good, compliments to Boston Pizza
  • Dinner - a Hot Dog, Raisin Bread, Cheese
  • Snacks - yummy stuff from a Bake Table, and a Baileys and Milk

No comments:

Post a Comment