Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Flog for April 18

First day off, and  I spent it re-arranging the basement and making a nook for myself. Moving boxes, furniture, shelves, and loads of STUFF. I think tomorrow I will suffer.

It turned out to be a beautiful afternoon, warm and sunshiny. I walked to the school to pick up Chris, and noticed the tulips by the side of the house were all a-bloom -
 How pretty is that, eh? And if you ever wanted a look inside, here you go -
 Another pretty something growing in front of the house. The true colour is a lot more vibrant than this, though.
 It's a Pieris - I just called Steve the Landscaper and asked him.

I was thinking about names for his landscaping business and came up with Sir Plantsalot. Isn't that cool? And if/when Neil gets his painting business on the go, it could be Sir Paintsalot. Shannon and I had a lot of fun with these names one day, ending up with her being Queen Cleansalot, me Queen Knitsalot, and Nikkie Princess Tapsalot.

However - I got my payment for The Orange Sock, which was published in The Downhome in March. Twenty Downhome Dollars - and I really do have to spend it all in one place, that being their on-line store. Or maybe I'll just frame it. That was actually the second thing I've had published, the other was a short poem in an anthology of Newfoundland Writers, and the same poem was included in a Grade 7 literature textbook shortly after. It was just so long ago - and they cut out the last two lines, which I think were the icing on the cake. Oh well. It went like this - with the cut out lines in italics.

Slipping
slowly
with its gold
autumn's colours
meet the cold
catch the summer's hand and hold
the forest in its breath
while leaves wait 
silently for death.

  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Pea Soup - now it's all gone (I guess I'll be going Pork........ Hock hunting in the near future), and crackers
  • Dinner - Howard's Stewed Fish cooked by Tamar, and Corn Bread
  • Snacks - Yogurt, Cheese, Cranberry Juice, 1 McDonald's French Fry, because if I don't write it here, Nikkie will probably tell on me, and a few little chocolate Easter Eggs
And to finish off the day - I made a double batch of our favourite Brownies, which are cooling on the kitchen counter as I tap. I wonder how much will be left when I get up in the morning?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment