Saturday, March 24, 2012

My Flog for March 24

Breakfast seems so long ago, but I finally get to sit down and relax. I spent the day baking, mostly disasters, but at least they look good. Especially with frosting on top. And the burned stuff in the garbage. I HATE this new stove, I'll never get used to the stupid oven. I took the bread out, and wondered if the first loaf was cooked - then tipped out the second one, and it was burned. Miserable miserly landlord getting a stove at the Dollar Store.

However, first things I baked were the Lemon Loaves, as I had promised Son #2 one, and he never lets me forget promises.
You may notice one has been cut, just so you could see the beautiful texture and colour. Also so Steve and I could do some Quality Control testing. Neil's remains intact, and will be in no danger until the first one is all gone. Burp.

Next was a walk to Walmart, as I had run out of eggs, butter, vanilla, raisins, yeast and milk. Hard to bake without these. I was pretty tired even before I got there, but the day was so beautiful and sunny - a gift.
... a hydro lady reaching into the blue sky - the kids call them Power Towers ...

I was so tired, whenever I stopped walking, my shadow lay down for a while. Lucky shadow.
Back home to some soup and Diet Pepsi - I put a Toonie in the slot at the $2 Pepsi machine at Walmart and got a Diet Pepsi and 4 quarters back. Another gift. Or, knowing I got the pop for only a dollar, was it stealing? Nah. It was another gift.

Next came cookies. Bloody oven. Same cookie dough, same batch on same cookie tray (of course) and some of them were burnt on the bottom, others were just about perfect. What the heck? Filled my cookie jars with the best of the good, and partially filled my garbage can with the worst of the bad.
Chocolate Chip Cookie, anyone?

Or would you prefer a Peanut Butter Cookie?
A wee break for dinner, and here come the Brownies - again, oven troubles. The edges cooked first, the middle took forever to cook. So to even things out and at least get them to look good, I covered them with Chocolate Frosting. They are still warm, so there has been no test tasting yet ...
 Guess I spoke too soon - I knew Howard had a bit of a bedtime lunch, but thought he had got into the cookies ...
No complaints, no choking, and no clutching mid-section and flailing on the floor. So I guess they passed the taste test.

Last but not least, the bread got a chance to go in the oven. Now this is made from scratch, my mom's recipe, for Molasses Raisin Bread. I call mine Barely Molasses Raisin Bread, as Molasses was the one thing I forgot to check before I went to the store, and when the yeast was rising and everything else was waiting, I realized I only had half enough molasses. I certainly couldn't take the time then to walk back to the store, so  I just made do with what I had. It didn't rise very much, but I was so tired by the time I put it in the oven, I didn't really care. Not sure what the test taste for this will discover, but I'm not too enthusiastic or optimistic about it. But it does look good - if you don't look at the burned side.

And that's about it, folks. Tomorrow is back to work, and once again, I'll be glad for the rest. However, I am still looking forward to my next 4-day weekend!
  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Soup, some canned Oranges
  • Dinner - Chicken Breast, Fries
  • Snacks - Quality Control testing, Orange, Diet Pepsi

    No comments:

    Post a Comment