Friday, March 30, 2012

My Flog for March 30

What is the stinkiest thing in the world?
  • a litter box that's gone uncleaned for a year
  • a jug of milk left out in the sun for a month
  • 100 farts in a closet
  • beef kidneys
If you chose the last, then you are definitely correct. I did everything I was supposed to, I think - soaked 'em in salted water for a few hours, rinsed, rinsed and rinsed some more, and still they stank.
I mean - how disgusting is that?
Even fried up with steak, mushrooms, and tons of onions, they still reeked - although I'm sure the mushrooms didn't help. Oh my. I didn't even know if there was enough seasoning in it, as I couldn't bring myself to test taste it, and certainly asking Nikkie to was just a waste of breath. She won't test taste anything unless it's Brownies, Kraft Dinner, or French Fries. 

The last time I saw my big brother, which was a few years ago, he mentioned how much he'd like to sink his teeth into a Steak and Kidney Pie, and I made sure this visit he would have one. Well, he got one, but I couldn't imagine him eating it. Blech. 

I did make a Chicken Pot Pie, and that was one delicious pie, even though I was worried about my attempt at pastry. I just hoped it would stretch to feed everyone once the Steak and Kidney Pie went down the toilet.
Yummy chicken - it looks yummy and it smells yummy and it tastes yummy.
Also on the menu: Mashed Potatoes, Turnip, Broccoli, Coleslaw, and Corn Bread. I had to have lots of sides in case we somehow lost a Pie down the toilet. Then for dessert, Cherry Tarts, Lemon Meringue Tarts (frozen tart shells, what a cheater) and Strawberry No-Bake Cheese Cake, which was delicious. Too bad it didn't set well. Oh well. I'm not a chef.

It's been a long and busy day, and of course not much turned out the way it was supposed to (according to the recipes.) The pies bubbled over and drowned half the pastry. The Cheese Cake didn't set, thanks a lot, Rachel Ray. I overcooked the carrots. As I said, I'm not a chef - I guess I'm just a Tryer.
  • Breakfast - Raisin Bread, toasted on the ring. Now that was good, in fact that was just plain delicious, and of course, Coffee
  • Lunch - Raisin Bread of course, and a Yogurt
  • Dinner - Some of the above, but no Steak and Kidney Pie. I don't even like to think about it.
  • Snacks - No time for snacks today, busy busy busy
Now the evening is over. David almost swooned (do people still swoon? Did men ever swoon?) when he realized there was a Steak and Kidney pie on the table with all the other food. I still couldn't bring myself to eat it, but everyone else had some - well, everyone had some on their plate, but Steve wasn't a big fan of it. If everyone else was being honest, it was a fine pie. I'll never know for sure. Everything else was fine - I just waited until everyone had lots of wine before I brought out the runny cheesecake, and then that went over great, too - it was truly a really delicious dessert, just a tad runny. As in, "Would you like a glass of Cheesecake?" 

However, it was a great night of reminiscing and story-telling. I so wish my family lived closer together, but we are separated over the width of this big country, and we rarely see each other. I guess that makes the rare times we do get together even more special.
Howard and David
Syl, Nikkie and Steve
David and Darleen
Howard, Steve, Syl, Darleen, David, and Tamar
Steve, Nikkie, Syl, Darleen, David, and Tamar

No comments:

Post a Comment