Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Flog for January 29 +I Guess I'm Just A Dumb Infidel, Bring On The Ham

Regarding Howard's Jigg's Dinners. Twice I bought veggies (carrots and turnip) to make Pea Soup, and twice he made Jigg's Dinners on Sundays. So I'm still left with a huge bag of yellow peas, even though this time around he made a peas pudding. That's the thing about buying in bulk - by the time you figure out to close the funnel, the bag is almost overflowing, so you end up getting enough stuff to last for years. Except of course, if it's Bridge Mixture or Chocolate Covered Anythings - then you almost have to shake the whole damn aisle to get any to drop.

However. Not only did he use the ... my... veggies, this time he also finished off the Salt Beef, and since I have no handy dandy ham bone in the freezer, my Pea Soup will once again be put on hold. I think I heard somewhere you  can buy ham bones at butcher shops, so even though I knew it was futile, I did try the butcher shop near my favourite Surrey market and my favourite Surrey bakery. The reason I knew it was futile was because there was Punjabi writing on the wall (and we should always read the writing on the wall), and there were two East Indian butchers (?) behind the counter. 

I'm pretty sure they don't eat pig at all, but then again, if they want my money, they may sell pig products. What do I know? That was my reasoning. 

But they don't sell any pig stuff. I guess I should be glad I got out of there alive. They do sell goats, which will eat anything in creation and then some - ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x76tT_oCeIand )- and they do sell lamb, poor little fluffy lambs that prance in pretty pastures - but not pig.

So no Pea Soup in the near future.
  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Half a Veggie Sandwich and a Hot Chocolate from Steveston Coffee Co, and a Banana
  • Dinner - Left over Jigg's Dinner veggies, and left over Meatloaf - not bad at all
  • Snacks - Pudding, Apple
Now, in response to Josephine's question "How many miles do you walk in a week?"  I don't know. It seems no matter where I want to go in Surrey, it is one and a half miles there and one and a half miles back. Any farther than that and I go on bus. Some weeks I go somewhere that is one a half miles there and one and a half miles back three times, some weeks no times at all. Three days I commute to Steveston by bus and sky train, so that makes 5 commutes (as Howard usually gives me a ride to work on Sunday mornings, just to make sure I go to work and aren't around to bug him, I think, as in "Can we go to Walmart?" or "Can you build me a shelf?" or "When are you going to fix the insert whatever is broken here?" However, the other 5 commutes means not much walking, but it does involve either going up or going down hundreds of stairs (at least it seems like hundreds, maybe it's only tens.)

So to answer Josephine's question: "I really don't know."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for trying to answer my question Tamar. It's okay that you really don't know. But if you'd like to know I might be able to help you out. You see Hedley bought one of those thingy's that you clip onto your person and it calculates the distance you walk in a day. Rather than see it just sitting in his book shelf I'd be happy to send it to a serious walker.
    On the matter of your peas soup dilema don't give up, I believe, "good things come to he/she who waits!"

    ReplyDelete