Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Flog for August 30 + My Past Life


Garbage out, Cardboard and Glass/Plastic Recycling out, and Food Scrap Bin out. Dishes soaking in hot soapy water in  the sink ready to be washed and rinsed, and a big queen sized bed only partly taken up by a snoring restless sick husband waiting. Hopefully the Diet Pepsi I'm drinking won't keep me awake half the night, because I'm pooped. 

I remember past Augusts, when I would be so anxious to get back to school. That would be school as teaching, not school as learning. I would be bugging the janitor to get my classroom done first, so I could spend my August days getting it ready for another batch of kidlets. We did some really neat things between these four walls, and  tons of happy memories (plus some strange ones) flit through my mind at the oddest times. 

As well as looking forward to the stomp and patter of little feet, it was always great to see the teacher friends I missed over the summer holidays. I wish I could thank every one of them - well, almost every one of them - for the good times, and thank some of them for helping me through the bad times. 

I'm maudlin due to an email I read today from one of my FB pages, from a student from long long ago. I hope he doesn't mind if I copy it here -  because I'm going to. For those of you who only know me since 1994, I did have a life before that!

Miss Vokey it has been a lot of years, but I would like to thank you so much for the love you gave us all over the years. some people come into our lives and we have become kinder for it. Tamar you were that sunshine that we needed on days that were not so kind. I would like to take this time to thank you for all the kindness you gave us kids. and I hope each time you step out on a bright day and feel the sun. that is us all giving back to you. thank you Ernie G


Thank you, Ernie G. For all the kindness I gave you kids, I got a thousand times back. 

  • Breakfast - Toast w/Jam and Coffee
  • Lunch - Half a Veggie Sandwich and an Iced Mocha
  • Dinner - Pork Chop and Oven Fries
  • Snacks - Yogurt w/Fruit on the Bottom, Banana, the largest 1/4 of the four parts I cut a baby watermelon in - never thought you could get stuffed on watermelon. Burp.

No comments:

Post a Comment