Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mr. Smith's Special Christmas Present - An Old Story From My Old Teaching Days


 While I was still teaching in Trinity, one fall my class and I made Nativity figures from plaster fabric, using pop bottles as a base. I made an angel as a sample - it must have been the ugliest angel ever, however, it was an angel just the same. Just before Christmas closing, Mrs Walters and I wrapped this angel up in a box with Christmas paper and added a tag that read "To: Mr Smith." 

When we had lunch break on the last day of school before Christmas, Mrs. Walters and I were in the little 'staff room' (closet) and we expected Mr Smith to come in carrying his special gift. We kept saying, "When he comes in, we have to be serious, pretend we don't know what happened, don't laugh, don't even smile..." stuff like that, practising being serious. Just knowing that he would have opened this gift in front of his students was enough to make us bend over with the giggles - maybe one of you were in the classroom when that happened and remember!

Of course, as soon as he walked in with that box in his hand, the two of us just burst out laughing like crazy. This memory still makes me laugh. As far as I know, Graham and Audrey still have that ugly angel!

No comments:

Post a Comment