Thursday, December 8, 2011

My Flog for December 8 + Sharon's Fantastic Recipe for Waikiki Meatballs

 Well, today I did something really beneficial - I finished eating the Tootsie Roll Candies in the Hallowe'en left-over basket. So proud of myself. Now I'm safe - until Christmas, when I may...just MAY...get something to replace them. Meanwhile, the only thing left are Sponge Bob candies, and while they may be not be as good as the TR candies, they will suffice if I have an especially tough hour of need.

Dinner tonight was brought to us by way of Sharon's Waikiki Meatballs, and the recipe will follow the food part of my Flog. These are famous from coast to coast now, since we introduced them to our BC friends. Served with the now-Flog-Famous Fried Rice, of course, so I'll include the recipe for that too. I had called it Newfoundland-Style Fried Rice in a previous post, but that's just because it came from our community Lion's Club cookbook - I'm sure it's a universal recipe. Maybe if you threw in some salt fish and brewis it would be more of a Newfie style.
  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Frosted Flakes - when we're finished them we can tear the box open and learn how to draw Tony the Tiger - I am so excited!
  • Dinner - Waikiki Meatballs and Fried Rice
  • Snacks - 3 Tootsie Roll candies, a Cherry Muffin, diet Pepsi, 
WAIKIKI MEATBALLS & FRIED RICE
(Sharon's recipe) 
MEATBALLS:
1 lb ground beef
1 cup cracker crumbs (saltines, that is)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ginger
1 chopped onion

Mix all ingredients together, form into balls and cook. I fry them, Howard cooks them in the oven - whatever pleases you.

SAUCE:
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tsp soy sauce
1 can pineapple tidbits and juice 

Mix cornstarch with brown sugar and add to vinegar, soy sauce and pineapple juice. Bring to a boil, then add meatballs and pineapple. Heat and serve with Fried Rice.

FRIED RICE:
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 eggs
2 cups cooked rice
soy sauce

Saute veggies, add eggs and scramble. Add rice, and soy sauce to taste. (I've also added mushrooms, or frozen veggies, or whatever else was lying around in fridge or cupboard and seemed appropriate.)



    No comments:

    Post a Comment