Saturday, December 3, 2011

My Flog for December 3 + A Good Old Newfie Recipe For Ya!

Today seemed to be a lazy day, but it really wasn't. Up before 7am, thanks to the kind husband insisting on waking me up real early (pre 5am) and getting upset because I didn't want to have a conversation with him, then flouncing out of the room leaving the light and the TV on, after flinging the blankets off me. Pre-dawn mornings are pretty chilly now, believe me. At least this morning he didn't throw his pillow over my head as usual, but I guess if he did he would have had no need to leave the light on.

Anyway, I 'helped' the kids clean their room (meaning they sat on the bed and watched me,) did another laundry, and baked a Peach Fruit Cake. In my downtime, I watched The Time Traveler's Wife, (such a wonderful movie, if you haven't seen it yet make sure you do), and knitted some of my 6th Christmas Stocking - you haven't heard about them for a while, have you now? Looks like I'll be just a little bit behind my deadline, which isn't bad as I haven't been knitting since we moved here at the end of September.

Regarding the Peach Fruit Cake - it's a really moist light fruit cake, and well liked by lovers and haters of traditional Fruit Cake. Recipe below. You would never find any leftovers of this in your cake tin in July.
  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee - the son who was going to get up and make bacon and eggs for breakfast wimped out yet again
  • Lunch - Chicken Soup and 1 slice of home made bread and butter (butter wasn't home made.)
  • Dinner - Chicken cooked in home made Barbecue Sauce, Newfie style Chinese Fried Rice
  • Snacks - a few Saltines, a few Candies, Diet Pop
PEACH FRUIT CAKE
Suzanne Clarke's recipe from Home Cooking Secrets of Trinity Area
Fort Point Lioness Club Cookbook 1982 -1983
1 cup Butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten (ow..ow...stop it...stop...ow..etc)
1 20 oz can of peaches, drained and chopped (or crushed, either way is sadistic) -save the juice
2 tsp vanilla (oh shoot, I misread this and put in 3 tsps - and I use the expensive real stuff)
3 cups flour (I knew there was a 3 there somewhere)
1 tsp baking powder (Don't ask why, I'm sure 1 tsp doesn't make any difference...)
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups raisins
1 1/2 cup glacé cherries (Steve found the e with the accent online for me, and also managed to screw up the rest of my font, but I still love him and am thankful for his ability to make me laugh.)
1 cup coconut

Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Blend in peaches, raisins, cherries and coconut. Add vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking powder and fold into mixture alternately with peach juice. I added some Malibu to the peach juice just for the fun of it, but make sure you add the Malibu to just a little bit of peach juice first as you probably won't need much juice. Don't let the mixture get too soggy.

Pour into well greased and lined pan - I use my cast iron pot so I don't bother lining it. Bake at 270F for 3 hours. Slow and steady does the job! After it comes out of the oven (well, after you take it out - it won't come out by itself) let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes or so, and turn over on a cooling rack.

Enjoy! (After it cools, that is.)


(My thanks to Suzanne for her terrific recipe, and my apologies for bastardizing it.)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment