Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Flog for May 12

Now I know why I gained so much weight in my younger years - it's because I tend to eat what the kids don't eat.

"Tanner, don't you want the rest of your Raisin Toast?"
"Clayton, won't you just try some scrambled eggs?"
"Lizzie - finish your Cheese Sandwich!"
"Chris - gimmie that last cookie!"

Well, not really. I was joking about the last one. But it is a very valid reason for taking in extra calories, that's for sure.

Started off the day by making breakie for Clayton and Tanner, as they slept over last night. Then, when they were all settled down, I had my own toast and coffee and the four of us walked up and kidnapped Chris and Lizzie for the day. Then I tidied up the kitchen while they tore the living room apart  - I also made 2 Lemon Pies (well, I had baked the pie shells yesterday), a big pot of Pea Soup, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies, and four sandwiches - two Peanut Butter and two Cheese. Then it was off to Bear Creek Park for a picnic, a playtime, and a nightmare.
The kids were having a great time on the play stuff. I was taking Chris and Lizzie over to where their Slushies were, when all of a sudden Chris wasn't there any more. We did a couple of searches of the playground, asking everyone we met to keep an eye out for him, and I went to the track, where there was a Meet happening, and asked the guy on the mike to do an announcement. I was very close to completely losing it, let me tell you, and was just going to call 911 when two young lads with bikes brought him back to me.

"You got lost, Nanny, so I was going to walk home."

Just like his daddy did 24 years ago, when he was just over 2 years old, and decided to leave me at a booth at the Trinity Festival and go home. The little bugger was halfway up Fiander's Hill when his Aunt Sheila saw him toddling along and came to his rescue. Meanwhile, I was back at the festival going frantic. Must be genetic.

Well, looking back on it, I'm glad I wasn't the one who really did got lost, because if they all gave up on me like that, I'd probably still be wandering around trying to find my way home. But no one can know how I felt, seeing that little boy safe and sound. Next time I take kids to a park, I will have a full security force with me, you can bet on that.

  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Peanut Butter Sandwich Triangles, Cheese Sandwich Triangles, and Chocolate Chip Cookies - in the park with 4 kiddies
  • Dinner - Scrambled Eggs and Bacon
  • Snacks - Diet Pepsi

1 comment:

  1. you don't need to have children to feel the rock growing in the pit of your stomach when you read a story like this. Thank God for happy endings and Happy Mother's Day Tamar.

    ReplyDelete