Thursday, May 24, 2012

My Flog for May 24

Day Off 2 seemed like a long lazy day, but looking back I guess I did accomplish more than nothing. The most important thing was finding a Nursery (?) Rhyme our daddy used to tell us when we were little - my sister, Shirley, had been trying to find it or remember it for a long time, so she could sing it to her grandbabies. She could remember a bit more than I could, as all I knew were the first two lines. I wonder who else knows it? Our dad learned this in school, I guess in the mid 1920's.


A RHYME FOR LITTLE FOLK

Oh, I'll tell you a story that nobody knows,
Of ten little fingers and ten little toes,
Of two pretty eyes and one little nose,
And where they all went one day.

Oh, the little round nose smelled something sweet,
So sweet it must surely be nice to eat,
And patter away went the two little feet
Out of the room one day.

Ten little toes climbed up on a chair,
Two eyes peeped over a big shelf where
Lay a lovely cake, all frosted and fair,
Made by mamma that day.



The mouth grew round and the eyes grew big
At taste of the sugar, the spice, and the fig,
And ten little fingers went dig, dig, dig,
Into the cake that day.



And when mamma kissed a curly head,
cuddling it cosily up in bed;
"I wonder was there a mouse," she said,
"Out on the shelf today?"


"Oh, mamma, yes," and a laugh of glee
Like fairy bells rang merrily -
"But the little bit of mouse was me,

Out on the shelf today !"


Many thanks to Linda Alchin -  (Author of the Secret History of Nursery Rhymes http://www.babyseen.biz/secret-history-nursery-rhymes-book.htm) -  we are so grateful to her for her fast reply.

The day started out as a sunny/cloudy mixup, and after yesterday's walk, which was only 5 miles ('8 kilometres' sounds so much longer, doesn't it?) I didn't feel like doing the walk to Walmart for soup veggies. Thank heavens I didn't have to, as we had a massive amount of carrots, celery (celeries?) mushrooms, and onions in our veggie supply, which I dumped in with the dead turkey to make my stock. I made sure I left some for the soup itself, which also received some frozen bagged veggies and left-over turkey, with some bouillon powder and various herbs/spices from my spice rack. I also made a batch of Partial Whole Wheat Bread, and a Banana Cake, so we wouldn't be too hungry after a bellywash dinner. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/banana-cake-vii/detail.aspx

To round off the day, a load of laundry washed, dried and put away, and a huge amount of dirty dishes, and a few short walks - one looking for my red hoodie, which I assume must have fallen out of my Not-So-Trusty Buggy yesterday on the way home, as I couldn't find it anywhere in the house this morning, one around Chris's school looking for his brand new jacket, as he wore it to school this morning and couldn't find it this afternoon, and one to Nikkie's looking for some chicken broth to better my soup. It seemed like my day was one of non-discovery - except of course, for the poem above, which was the most important and most appreciated discovery ever.
  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Egg and Cheese Omelet and Green Salad
  • Dinner - Turkey/Veggie Soup, Fresh PWW Bread, Banana Cake
  • Snacks - Yes Yes Yes, of course I had snacks .... 


No comments:

Post a Comment