Saturday, May 26, 2012

My Flog for May 26

Did I really have 4 Day Offs? Because I feel like I've just done 4 days of hard labour. Tomorrow morning will find me on the sky train on my way to work, and if I'm lucky I won't fall asleep at 22nd Street Station and end up at Downtown Vancouver.

Today, Steve, Howard and I went to the Nursery, and no, not to look at babies, but at plants. I want to have a garden, and although it is a little late to start one now, we do have a lot of growing season left, so I got a few plants and a whack of seeds. Now, the area where I want to start is at the fence behind the house, just on the other side of the sliding doors in the kitchen. It's quite a narrow tract of land (ahem) and has a rickety board fence behind it, so I thought I'd do a nice bright flowery garden to brighten it up, and hopefully attract some hummingbirds. I also decided I'm going to decor it with found objects - either found in my back yard, Steve's back yard, or on sidewalks in front of rich peoples' houses, if I'm really lucky.

So first I starting bringing pieces of broken bricks - the big rectangle ones with the two holes in the middle - from the upper part of the side yard to build a 'fence' around my plot. Looks very rustic .. and cheap, but that's okay. Then I lugged two whole bricks - man, they are heavy - to put down as risers so all my pots wouldn't be on the same level. I potted the plants I bought today, and watered them, hung out a couple of cutesy things - a tin lizard and a hummingbird feeder - and all I could think of when I stepped back and surveyed my work was the little towns I used to build when I was little out of Buried Treasure treasures. If you know what I'm talking about, you must be pretty old too, but weren't these the best ice cream treats ever?


I cannot tell a lie - this is not my backyard garden - yet.
  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Turkey Soup and Bread
  • Dinner - Pork Chop and Left Over Mashed Potatoes - also stole a few of Howard's fries. After all, I walked up to Walmart this hot afternoon and brought home some russets for him so he could have them in the first place
  • Snacks - a few Tootsie Roll candies, Pudding and a couple of cookies
It was another beautiful warm ... no, hot ... day. Summer seems to have set in, and I would be happy if it stayed like this for the next few months, in the low twenties with beautiful blue skies and a nice little breeze. Except of course when I have to work - it can pour rain then and I won't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment